Monday, December 1, 2008

Press sales- Sandro, et vous and tara jarmon



I have fallen upon the strange phenomenon that are the press sales in Paris. I am sure there are several levels, and clearly I am still a debutante, but they are so enticing. In Paris, they are legally 'allowed' two big sales per year. The government decides when and we all wait with bated breath for that day. But, I am guessing that a way to get around the law is to have these 'invitation only' sales. In any case, I hit as many as I could find last week.

The first sale I hit was Tara Jarmon in the Marais. Same location as the Maje sale last week and same security detail. I noticed that this security detail are the same guys they use for the fashion shows. They all wear the same coat and the same earpiece. The scan the store to make sure no one is stealing or trying on the goods. It is a very strange presence. Anyhow, let's talk about the goods!!

Tara Jarmon is a strange designer. I guess if you like embellished girly clothes, she is the one for you. Loads of coats with claudine collars, cute buttons etc. Not really my style, but I did find a nice cardigan for my mother-in-law with pearl buttons. Yes, that type of cute! Normally the prices in the store start at 100 euros and up and the prices were about 60-70% off retail. There were loads of girls there lining up and buying loads of coats and dresses. I felt like a lightweight only getting one thing, but I knew I had many more sales ahead of me!

The next stop was at Adele Sand in the Bastille. It is one of those stores that regularly has 'stock' and if you are a member, you can get in early. So, in the name of research, I joined and I got my little card so I could check it out without a line. The Sandro sale there started early in the morning, so I figured it would be good to see the goods before the madness.
I normally like Sandro, but the sale was fairly mediocre. The style is a bit more hippie-ish and a bit less edgy than maje or zadig. I saw loads of things from last year which was a bit disappointing. The prices were not as interesting as the other sales. Sweaters ran about 70 euros for wool and acrylic mixes. I was surprised. I had been seeing cashmere for 50 euros everywhere else. The coats were still over 100 euros. Nonetheless, Sandro has a very good following and the girls were stuffing their transparent bags full of goods. I bought nothing. The security detail gave me a hard time for taking a picture of the outside of the store. I think they are trying to give the feeling of exclusivity, yet, it was just a bunch of girls trying to get a good deal. I was a bit put off needless to say!!
The next sale I hit was the brand 'et vous'. I had never bought their stuff, but had checked them out regularly in the stores. They are known for having great sweaters and well made clothes. The store was on 15-17 rue Turbigo just near the Pompidou center. The sale was great. Cashmere sweater dresses for 60 euros or if you bought two, 100 euros. Other thinner sweaters for 40 euros. Great coats and really cute tops. There was no security detail and you could try the stuff on. Overall, a much happier experience. I ended up getting two nice cashmere items. I would definitely recommend visiting that store if you are in the neighborhood.
I have two more sales this next week and then I have to SAVE for the big sales in Jan. Let's hope I don't get tempted too much!!!

No comments: