Tuesday, December 9, 2008

the press sales continue.......





So the sales continued. I headed to the Place Vosges in the Marais for the 'Les Petites' sale. It was a miserable day and the line was formed under the arcades. Place Vosges is where you can find Victor Hugo's home, which is a museum, and loads of little cafes and galleries. It is gorgeous. So luckily we were protected from the rain, since the line was equally as long as the one for Maje and it was moving really slow.

Normally at these sales, they do not allow you to try on the clothes. Initially I found it slightly irritating, but after this sale, I kind of agree with that policy. I saw girls piling up clothes in a corner and just taking off their clothes to try on dresses, pants etc. The security detail, which is always present, must have been having a hey-day watching all the women in different stages of undress. I saw an old woman, clearly in her 70's shuffling about with a dress on and her pants at her ankles. It freaked me out!!! The air was thick with dust from the clothes being thrown around, the chaos of the girls vying for a spot to try their potential clothes and the bitchiness of girls hoping to find something before you do. Les Petites' price points aren't the highest and their quality is passable. They are extremely trendy, thus making them very popular. You could tell the difference between this clientele versus the other sales I have been to. Dresses were 50 euros, sweaters 50 euros and coats 70 euros. I left fairly quickly. I was not inspired to really look for anything. The desperation, and the image of the old lady, traumatized me for the day!

The next day, I awoken with the feeling of hope. I was off to the Vanessa Bruno sale in the Bastille. I love her clothes and her quality is amazing. I arrived fairly early and the line was just a few minutes wait. The women in the line were also very well dressed , in that Vanessa Bruno way, and super nice. I have a card to this store, but apparently there are different levels depending on how much you spend. So, technically I could not go to the sale until after noon, but I was assured by the girl standing next to me and I could piggy back on her invite. How nice is that?

The place was organized by color and size. It was so structured, just like her clothes. Also, you were able to try on the clothes, but only where you found them. Thus, no one could hide away with two bags of clothes to try on. The atmosphere was full of anticipation, but since the clothes were a much higher quality and price, it remained a bit more civilized. There were her famous tote bags with sequins starting at 50 euros, shoes for 120 euros and clothes starting at 60 euros. They also had her Athe line which is fun and bit lower priced. I wanted to buy so many pieces, but I made do with a sweater and a cute dress. The desire for my new YSL bag is keeping me in check.


No comments: